News & EventsLatest NewsCalendar
Seaford Town 2-1 Arundel - SCFL Division One (MATCH REPORT)

Seaford Town 2-1 Arundel - SCFL Division One (MATCH REPORT)

Finn Honeywood28 Aug 2021 - 17:35
Share via

Second half breakthrough for Seaford who reach double-figure points tally at the hands of Arundel

Seaford Town closed out a run of three straight home games with a 2-1 victory over struggling Arundel at the Crouch. In a game where Seaford controlled possession but failed to create many substantial chances, it took second half strikes from Charlie Morley and competitive debutant Tim Moyo to see the home side come away with all three points.

The hosts took little time in showing their intent, with midfielder Scott Taylor going close just under 2 minutes with a low effort which flashed past the post. Arundel soon began to show more signs of susceptibility, with the away side failing to properly clear their lines on numerous occasions. They were nearly punished for it at the 20 minute mark, after a set piece was cleared only as far as Seaford left back Aaron Winser, whose excellent delivery was headed over by centre back Ryan Knight. Seaford, who came into the game with several first team absentees, continued to look for an opener yet were often let down by their decision making in the final third. One of those to step in for Seaford, Scott Marshall, almost broke the deadlock after receiving a chested-down ball which allowed him to fire a stinging effort from outside the box which was well saved by Arundel ‘keeper Jack Hinkman. With only several minutes left in the half, Seaford’s continuous pressure would remain unrewarded after Ryan Knight’s hooked effort grazed the top of the crossbar from 8 yards.

After failing to register a point thus far in the season, Arundel headed into the second half with hopes of negating any kind of Seaford barrage and coming away with a much needed share of the spoils. The second half opened up in similar fashion to the first, with Seaford still having the majority of the ball but falling short when it came to breaching the away defence. This eventually changed, however, thanks to substitute Connah Gardener-Lowe’s darting run into the box, which was abruptly halted by a late challenge given as a penalty with 25 minutes to play. Up stepped Charlie Morley, who in sending the ‘keeper the wrong way made it 1-0 to Seaford. It wasn’t long before their advantage was doubled, with Morley turning provider after picking out the run of forward Tim Moyo, who calmly took the ball round the ‘keeper and slotted into the empty net. Despite being shut out for the most part in the closing stages, the visitors were able to snatch a goal back after winger Nat Monk was given the time and space to produce a curling effort which beat 'keeper Mike Platt at the far post.

It was not enough to prevent the Seaford victory in the end, with manager Paul Wise commending his side’s attacking persistence following the game, after seeing a multitude of chances go begging in the lead up to eventually taking the lead.

Seaford Town:
Mike Platt (GK)
Shaun Skipper
George Olelode
Ryan Knight
Aaron Winser
Scott Taylor (off 45')
Alex Saunders
Scott Marshall (off 74')
Reece Edwards (off 57')
Charlie Morley
Simon Piper

Subs: James Kendall (on 74'), Tim Mouyo (on 57'), Connah Gardener-Lowe (on 45'), Callum Keith

Further reading